What is Block Watch?
A group of people living in the same area who work together to build community and improve the quality of life in their neighborhood by addressing safety issues, excessive noise, litter/trash/graffiti, and beautification projects.
How Can I participate in the Block Watch?
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors, welcome new neighbors, and check in with each other throughout the year.
- Know and follow city codes and ordinances regarding rubbish, recycling, parking, noise, and property maintenance.
- Reach out to your Block Watch Leader(s) if you are experiencing a neighborhood challenge and need help.
- Please join the South Side Flats Facebook page and be sure to join the SS Block Watch group on nextdoor.com.
- Participate in a cleanup, graffiti removal, or weeding/gardening effort.
How to connect with my Block Watch?
For more information about the Block Watches, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and address on the email so the correct block watch lead can contact you.
Did you know?
- Trash cans should have tightly fitted lids and trash bags should be sealed to decrease litter, pests, and overflow.
- Trash cans/bags should not exceed 35 lbs. each and can be set out at 6 pm the night before trash pick up and must be removed from the sidewalk at the end of trash pickup day.
- Upholstered furniture (sofas, chairs) and mattresses are not allowed to be stored outside.
- Recycling is mandatory and collected every other week.
- There are ordinances regarding noise levels, which vary depending on the time of day. The noise level is lower after 10 p.m.
- It is illegal to set off fireworks within 150 feet (about 10 car lengths) of a building.
- If you have questions about city services, you can call 311 or visit www.pittsburghpa.gov/311.
- Remove all items from the inside of your vehicle to reduce risk of theft.
- Park next to the curb so emergency vehicles and delivery trucks can pass.
- Check on your vehicle daily as “No Parking” signs may be posted for street work, dumpster permits, etc.
- Street Cleaning occurs April thru November on Jane and Sarah the first Wednesday and Thursday of the month.